The War of Gog and Magog (Ezekiel Chapters 38 and 39)
Ezekiel 38:8 – “After many days you shall be visited: in the latter years you shall come into the land that is brought back from the sword . . .”
The question has been asked: “Are the prophecies in Ezekiel being fulfilled right now?” Admittedly, conditions in the Middle East have never been so ripe for Ezekiel’s War of Gog and Magog to occur, but at this time the Russian incursions into Syria by appears to be more stage setting than prophecy fulfillment.
Twelve prophecies that have definitely been fulfilled are:
• Deuteronomy 28:64 – The Jews were scattered worldwide (to the four corners of the earth).
• Deuteronomy 28:65-67 – The Jews have been persecuted wherever they have lived.
• Deuteronomy 29:22-28 – The land of Israel (Palestine) was desolate during their dispersion.
• Jeremiah 30:7 and Jeremiah 31:36-37 – The Jewish people still exist.
• Jeremiah 29:14 Ezekiel 37:21, Isaiah 43:5-6 – The Jews have returned to the land.
• Matthew 24:32-34, Isaiah 43:5-6 – The rebirth of Israel ( the fig tree buds).
• Zephaniah 3:9, Jeremiah 31:23 – The Hebrew language is recovered.
• Isaiah 27:6, 51:3, 35:1-2, 7, Ezekiel 36:34-35 – The desolate land becomes fertile.
• Zechariah 12:2-6, and Joel 3:1 – The reoccupation and control of Jerusalem.
• Zechariah 12:2-3 – Israel becomes the focal point of world politics.
• Psalm 83:1-8 – The global rise of anti-Semitism and Israel being surrounded by enemy Arab nations.
• Zechariah 12:6 – The military power of Israel is undeniable and greatly feared.
But, let us not forget that one of major prophecy to specifically watch for is:
Ezekiel 38:13 – Gog comes to take spoil
Ezekiel 38:11-12 – “Gog, chief prince of the land of Meshech and Tubal will say: “I will go up to the land of unwalled villages; I will go to them that are at rest, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates, To take a spoil, and to take a prey; to turn my hand upon the desolate places that are now inhabited, and upon the people that are gathered out of the nations, which have gotten cattle and goods, that dwell in the midst of the land.”
So, then, what is the spoil that Gog is after. I believe that the spoil is natural resources, specifically oil and natural gas! According to scripture, there are plentiful supplies of these items to be revealed:
• Genesis 49:1, 25 – Blessings of the deep that lies beneath.
• Deuteronomy 32:13 –Oil from the solid rock.
• Deuteronomy 33:13, 19, 24 – The choice things . . from the deep lying beneath.
• Deuteronomy 33:13, 19, 24 – The abundance of the seas, and the hidden treasures of the sand.
• Deuteronomy 33:13, 19, 24 – The dipping of the foot in oil.
• Isaiah 45:3 – The treasures of darkness and hidden wealth of secret places.
Starting in 2009, oil and natural gas reserves have been being located both inside Israel and along its coast.:
• 1.7 billion barrels of recoverable oil and 122 trillion cubic feet of natural gas in the Levant Basin Province!
• Potentially the largest oil field in Israel has been located in the Meged oil field.
• In 2012, Israel struck oil again, this time off the Tel Aviv coast, including 100 million barrels of oil, worth $10 billion.
• The Pelagic fields cover half a million acres of sea approximately west of Haifa, and drillings indicate 6.7 trillion cubic feet of gas and 1.4 billion barrels of oil.
• There is estimated to be about 48 trillion cubic in Israel’s other various locations.
But Wait, There’s More!
In October 2015 an Israeli subsidiary of the U.S. company Genie Energy, Afek Oil and Gas, confirmed that it has found large reserves of shale oil in the Golan heights area! This field is said to be 350 meters thick – ten times as thick as most deposits found in other parts of the world. But not only is there oil in this area, Genie Energy has also confirmed that there are large amounts of natural gas as well. This most certainly looks like oil from the solid rock to me, or in other words, a direct fulfillment of Deuteronomy 32:13.
The War of Gog and Magog detailed in Ezekiel chapters 38 and 39 has not yet begun, but the stage is being set big time! Several years of the discovery of oil and natural gas deposits in Israel are feeding the desire for Russia and its allies to invade Israel to “take spoil” or “to carry off plunder” (Ezekiel 38:13).
Prophecy continues to unfold as foretold by the Hebrew Prophets. Today we are one day closer to the return of Yeshua than we were yesterday and tomorrow we will be even one day closer. For almost two thousand years the Jews would proclaim “Next year in Jerusalem!” I now proclaim “Next Yom Teruah in the clouds!” Time is short – Yeshua Ha’Mashiach is coming soon – get busy reaching the lost.