1 John 3:7 – “Little children, let no one deceive you.”
Many have tried to convince the world that the place of the skull is a rock face that looks like a skull from a distance. But this is definitely not what scripture is saying when it speaks of the place called Golgatha. Do not be deceived.
Fun with Hebrew
Matthew 27:33 – “They came to the place that is called Golgotha, which means Place of the Skull.”
Mark 15:22 – “They brought him to the place called Golgotha (which means Place of a Skull) .”
Luke 23:33 – “When they came to the place called The Skull, they nailed him to a tree.”
John 19:17 – “They took Yeshua, bearing his own cross, to The Place of a Skull, called Golgotha.”
The Greek word, Golgatha [G1115 Γολγοθᾶ], is the same as the Hebrew word gulgoleth [H1538 גֻּלְגֹּלֶת]. Both mean skull. Gulgoleth is found in several Older Covenant verses: Judges 9:53, 2 Kings 9:35, 1 Chronicles 10:10, 1 Chronicles 23:3 & 24, and Numbers 1:2.
Where’s the Skull?
Here is what we do know:
- Gulgoleth means a skull (as noted above),
- Gulgoleth is outside the city walls of Jerusalem. This location would have had to have been outside the walls of Jerusalem, in accordance with Jewish law which would not have permitted the Philistine Giant’s head to be buried inside the city walls (Hebrews 13:12),
- Gulgoleth is located near the city (Luke 23:26),
- Gulgoleth was located in a place that was well traveled (Matthew 27:39, Mark 15:29, Luke 23:35, and John 19:25),
- Gulgoleth contains a garden, olive press, and tomb (Matthew 26:36, Mark 14:32, and John 19:41).
1 Samuel 17:54 – “David took the severed head of the Philistine, Goliath, and brought it to Jerusalem.”
- Finally, Gulgoleth was a widely known Jewish location with a proper name. Gulgoleth was the place that David buried the head of Goliath of Gath in Jerusalem. The location of the Philistine Giant’s buried head would have been known by all.
Golgatha, then is the final word one gets from Goliath of Gath! The transformation goes something like this:
Goliath Gath to > GoliGath to > GolGath to > GolGatha
Genesis 3:15 – “I will put animosity between you and the woman, and between your descendant and her descendant; he will bruise your head, and you will bruise his heel.”
Just as David crushed the head of Goliath of Gath with a little stone, so Yeshua crushed the head of Satan on the cross. The Place of the Skull is where King David buried the decapitated head of the giant, Goliath of Gath. It was outside the city walls, located in a place that was well traveled, and a place that was known to all. It was not the rock hill that today is purported to be the place of the skull – this is a deception. Do not be deceived.
April 25, 2019 Where Was Yeshua Crucified