1 Corinthians 15:34 – “There are people who lack knowledge. Come to your senses; Live righteously; Stop sinning!”
Discernment in the “church” these days is lacking in so many ways. Occult teaching and practices have been allowed to come into church teachings and people’s thinking via “Christian” Yoga or Taro Cards , New Age Spirituality, Christ Consciousness, Guided Meditation, Crystal Therapy, Ascended Masters, Charkas, Ancient Aliens shows, Science Fiction stories or movies, and others. One of the most virulent intrusions is through books people read and movies that people watch that are said to be Christian in nature. Let’s look at some examples of these false teachings:
Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent
Matthew 24:4 – “Watch out! Don’t let anyone fool you!”
This book, which has sold over one million copies, and its accompanying movie was hailed by many as “an authentic, astounding, supernatural look at the other side of the veil from the trusted voice of a young boy.” But its theology is unscriptural. In almost every instance either Colton or his dad, Todd, get it wrong:
- Colton says Yeshua’s “clothes were white” but scripture says: His robe is “dipped in blood” (Revelation 19:13).
- Colton says Yeshua’s sash “was purple” but scripture says the sash is “a golden sash” (Revelation 1:13).
- Colton says Yeshua’s horse is “a rainbow horse . . There’s lots of colors” but scripture says it is a “white horse” (Revelation 19:11).
- Colton says everyone in Heaven except for Yeshua “has wings” but scripture says that the only creatures that have wings are the Cherubim (Exodus 25:20), the Seraphim (Isaiah 6:2), the four great beasts (Daniel 7:1-7), and the four living creatures (Ezekiel 1:4-8, Revelation 4:8).
- Colton says the angels “carry swords so they can keep Satan out of Heaven” but scripture says Satan is the “accuser of our brethren” until he is “thrown down to earth” (Revelation 12:9-10).
Heaven Is For Real is filled with false teaching. Be discerning: don’t let anyone fool you into thinking this book (or movie) is Christian in nature.
The Shack by William P. Young
John 5:43 – “I came in my Father’s name, and you did not accept me, but when someone else comes in their own name, you accept them.”
This book, which has sold over twenty million copies, has also been hailed as being Christian in nature. Likewise, the movie based on this book. It is anything but. Its theology is totally heretical in nature:
- The Shack teaches Universalism, that all ways to Heaven are equal, and that all are not judged, not punished, but purified and chastised by the fires of Hell and then once they repent, are taken to Heaven. The Bible says the opposite: “no one comes to the Father except through me, Yeshua” (John 14:6)
- Yahweh the Father is personified by a female named Papa. The Bible never teaches that the Father takes on a physical form: “God is spirit” (John 4:24), nor does scripture ever portray Yahweh as female – always as male.
- Yahweh the Spirit is personified by an Asian woman. Again, The Bible always portrays the Spirit as male.
- The Shack presents all three members of the Trinity in human form, but the Bible shows only Yeshua taking human form.
- The Shack teaches Pantheism. This is the false teaching that God is everything and everything is God. Trees, rocks, animals, the sun, pets, people…are all gods. The Bible does teach that there are gods, who make up the divine council (Psalm 82:1), but never refers to trees, rocks, animals, or heavenly planets as gods.
The Shack is filled with heresies. Be discerning: don’t let anyone fool you into thinking this book (or movie) is Christian in nature.
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Leviticus 19:31 – “Do not turn to spirit-mediums or sorcerers; don’t seek them out, to be defiled by them.”
One would think that a series of books or movies that promote sorcery, alchemy, how to be a successful wizard or witch, and how to avoid death itself by making oneself immortal would never be labeled as fit reading or watching by Christians. But they have, because they appear to be a great moral story of good overcoming evil. Bah!
- The use of drugs, making of potions, and casting of spells is an ever-present theme throughout the Harry Potter series. Scripture says that those who will not give up these things will be cast into the Lake that burns with fire and sulfur. (Revelation 21:8).
- Astrology is also an ever-present theme throughout. Astrology teaches that we get our direction from the stars and their alignments with each other. Scripture says that the worship or reliance on such things is forbidden and those who do so will be punished and destroyed (Deuteronomy 4:19, 17:3; Jeremiah 8:2; Zephaniah 1:5-8).
- Death is just another adventure – “You can exist without your soul”, says the Headmaster at Hogwarts. Scripture, however, says that “the spirit returns unto Yahweh who gave it” (Ecclesiastes 12:7).
- The Harry Potter series also introduces the Patronus which scripture calls a familiar spirit (Deuteronomy 18:11, Leviticus 19:31), using amulets which scripture says is useless (Isaiah 47:9-15), astral travel and projection, or clairvoyance and divination by self will which scripture say is only done when Yahweh calls a being into his presence either in spirit or through dreams and visions.
The Harry Potter series is filled with unbiblical practices. Be discerning: don’t let anyone fool you into thinking these books (or movies) are Christian in nature just because good overcomes evil.
Chronicles of Narnia and Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Matthew 7:15 – “Beware of false teachers, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but are really just wolves.”
The Chronicles of Narnia are very entertaining. But not Christian in nature no matter what many may think.
- Aslan is surrounded by creatures such as centaurs, minotaurs, dryads, fauns, and other hybrids which scripture condemns. Each seed is not to be mixed with other seed, but is to reproduce only within its own kind (Genesis 1:1-11 6:11-12; Leviticus 19:19). Hybrid creations are an abomination to Yahweh.
- The White Witch is also surrounded by mixed seed creatures, which Scripture condemns.
The Screwtape Letters are written from the viewpoint of Satan and his demons, in which in which a senior devil sardonically instructs his apprentice nephew in methods of mortal temptation. Learning these things goes against what the Bible says we are to learn (Proverbs 7:2).
The Chronicles of Narnia series is filled with unbiblical beings that scripture calls abominations. The Screwtape Letters are instructions in Satanic temptation. Be discerning: don’t let anyone fool you into thinking these books (or movies) are Christian in nature – they only pose as Christian writing but put forth the doctrines of demons.
Hosea 4:6 – “Because my people have rejected knowledge, I reject them from being a priest to me.”
1 John 4:1 – “Don’t trust a teacher but test them to see whether they are from Yahweh; because many false teachers have gone out into the world.”
1 Peter 5:8 – “Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”
Discernment in the “church” these days is lacking in so many ways. Be discerning like “Joiarib and Elnathan who were men of discernment” (Ezra 8:16). Occult teachings and practices have been allowed to come into church teachings and people’s thinking via many different avenues, including books and movies that appear to be Christian in nature but are just the opposite. The authors who write these things may very well be what Scripture calls wolves in sheep’s clothing (Matthew 7:15). Remember, even Satan transforms himself as an angel of light, and his messengers into ministers of righteousness (2 Corinthians 11:14-15). A true Christian will have the discernment to avoid these books, movies, and occult teachings at all costs.
A mature Christian may be able to read the fiction books or watch the movies based on these books without being compromised, but Yahweh warns us time and time again not to have any other gods before him, or to study or learn their ways. Doing so actually gives an opening to Satan and his demons which is never acceptable. Remember, Satan wants to destroy you and he always asks: “Did God really say. . . .”
Prophecy as foretold by the Hebrew prophets continues to unfold in an escalating pattern. The stage is nearly completely set. The great and terrible Day of Yahweh, Joseph’s Trouble, hastens forth and will not delay. Time is short – Yeshua Ha’Mashiach is coming soon – get busy reaching the lost.
Related Links and Videos
Heaven is for Real
Dr Isaac Dix Winston Post: http://www.raptureready.us/soap/winston2.html
Pastor David Platt Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRWTNtAfQFY
World Net Daily Post: https://www.wnd.com/2017/03/star-of-the-shack-not-the-god-of-the-bible/
Jan Markell, Jimmy DeYoung Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nIx9IT5s4
John Ankerberg Post: https://www.jashow.org/articles/the-occult-and-harry-potter/
Pawcreek Ministries Post: http://www.pawcreek.org/harry-potter-antichrist/
Chronicles of Narnia
Sheila Zilinsky Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_MEDqqtLU