WARNING – this article examines explicitly graphic language of the Bible, and is ONLY written to the warrior priests amongst us – the sensitive and easily offended can choose to stop reading NOW to avoid being shocked or offended.
The Bible is not for sissies, pantywaists, snowflakes, the easily offended, or those who can’t handle the explicit, graphic language that depicts the sexual mores, habits, and activities of its peoples. It is a gross misperception that the Bible does not describe these goings-on in all their facets. Biblical language even describes the place of whorehouses, what today we call the Red Light District – Does this shock you? If it does, then it is time for you to Grow Up!
The Sexual Habits of Biblical People
The sexual habits of biblical people is well documented in scripture, some of it very graphically illustrated:
The Naked Amongst Us
• We don’t get very far into scripture when we find out that two people, Adam and Eve, are walking around butt naked in a garden, but are not ashamed – something that today is thought to be inexcusable (Genesis 2:25).
• Shortly thereafter a son, Ham, sees his father Noah naked, and brags about it to his brothers (Genesis 9:18-22).
Let’s Sleep Around
• One of the first persons to sleep with someone other than his wife is Abraham. He sleeps with his maid, Hagar, albeit at the request of his wife, Sarah, who gets upset when the maid starts to treat her with contempt. Ishmael is the result of that sexual encounter, and we all know how well that has turned out for the human race, especially the Jews and Arabs. (Genesis 16:1-5).
• Having sex with a slave girl was common. Even if the girl or woman had been designated for another man but had not yet been ransomed or granted freedom, just ante up a few coins for the guilt offering and the sin will be forgiven (Leviticus 19:20-22).
• King David, despite already having multiple wives, spies a beautiful woman, Bathsheba, bathing on the roof of a house located below his palace, sends for her, sleeps with her, gets her pregnant, then sends her husband off to war and has him killed so he can marry her (2 Samuel 11:1-14). Yahweh’s assessment: What David had done was evil (2 Samuel 11:27).
• Sleeping around is not confined to the Older Covenant Peoples. Oh, no. In Corinth there is a man who has been having sex with his stepmother – a sexual sin that is even condemned by pagans (1 Corinthians 5:1)! – Does this shock you? If it does, then it is time for you to Grow Up!
Let’s Have More Incest
• Dad Lot is drunk as a skunk thanks to his daughters plying him with wine, and the daughters think it a great idea to take turns having sex with him since they have no boyfriends of their own. Both end up pregnant, giving birth to sons who become the fathers of the Moabites and Ammonites, again to the detriment of the Jews (Genesis 19:32-38). Yahweh declares he will eventually destroy both Moabites and Ammonites. So much for incest being approved (Zephaniah 2:8-9).
• Sending his daughter-in-law away does not work out well for Judah. We later read that Tamar pretends to be a prostitute, Judah has sex with her, and gets her pregnant. Again, incest does not benefit those who commit it (Genesis 38:11-26).
• Incest makes another grand entrance as David’s son, Amnon, rapes his brother Absalom’s sister, Tamar, with whom he is madly in love. This does not go well, either, as Amnon’s love turns to bitter hatred as soon as the dark deed is done. Absalom eventually kills Amnon for raping Tamar. (2 Samuel 13:1-15). – Does this shock you? If it does, then it is time for you to Grow Up!
The Red Light District
Soldiers on leave are well known for asking about available girls as soon as they come into town. Think not? Guess you’ve never run into sailors and soldiers during Fleet Week in San Francisco. You’ve probably heard of the houses of prostitution referred to as the Red Light District and wondered how that expression got started. Guess where –the Bible:
• You ask: Where was the first “Red Light” district? (Hint: two famous soldiers stopped there!) It was located at Rahab’s house in the wall at Jericho, though perhaps the “Red Cord” district would be more accurate. Rahab was told to place a red cord in her window so that when the Jews came to conquer, she and her family would be saved. Who says good can’t come out of a house of ill repute? (Joshua 2:1-21).
• Speaking of Rahab, her adherence to the instruction to put that red cord in the window allowed her to become the great-grandmother of King David (Ruth 4:18-22; Matthew 1:5)! – Does this shock you? If it does, then it is time for you to Grow Up!
• Rampant sex can be deadly. It was for the people who had yoked themselves to the worship of Baal. Baal worship frequently involved sexual encounters between priestesses and worshippers. Yahweh’s assessment: 24,000 died by the plague. Today people still die of sexually transmitted diseases, what the Bible calls plague! (Numbers 25:1-8).
Suppose We Just Abstain
• Joseph refused the propositions of Pharaoh’s wife (Genesis 39:1-20)
• Are husbands and wives supposed to have sex, or should they abstain? Yes, and Yes. But abstinence is only to be by mutual consent for a short time (1 Corinthians 7:1-5).
• Is everybody sexual, or are some made not to be sexual at all? Not all are made to be sexual, some eunuchs are reserved for ministry (Matthew 19:10-12).
Ecclesiastes 1:9 – “What has been is what will be, what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.”
The Bible is loaded with graphic language that depicts the sexual mores, habits, and activities of its peoples, which can be easily located in many passages and verses, much to the surprise and shock of today’s sensitive and easily offended pantywaists, milksops, or cowards. It uses that language to wake you up, to force you to grow up.
Ecclesiastes warns us not to be surprised – ain’t nuthin new under the sun! It should come as no surprise, therefore, that some of those mores, habits and activities are still being displayed today – even more so as we approach the imminent return of Yeshua for his bride. Are you still shocked? Oh grow up. Biblical language is not for sissies, it is for those who are courageous, warrior priests.
The prophetic signs are burgeoning and not abating. The impact of Wormwood on the Earth is still expected in April 2029. Time is incredibly short – Yeshua Ha’Mashiach is coming soon – so be of great cheer, keep looking up, and keep maintaining an attitude of gratitude. Be sure you are believing The Truth, not The Lie. Be sure Yeshua is your Redeemer, King, and High Priest, and your sins are forgiven.